Ideas For Designing A Double-Height Living Room
Designing a home with two stories can add an extra layer of luxury and style, but it can also present some unique decorating challenges. Double-height living rooms are one such challenge, especially when finding ways to make the most out of this luxurious space while remaining comfortable and stylish. Fortunately, with a little creativity and ingenuity, double-height living rooms don’t have to remain lofty visions – they can become inviting retreats that set your home apart from the crowd! In this blog post, we’ll explore some awesome ideas for designing these special spaces so you can get inspired to transform your own double-height living room into a stunning showpiece.
How to create a double-height living room that will wow your guests
Creating a double-height living room can be a great way to add drama, light, and a sense of grandeur to your home. Creating an impressive double-height living room requires careful planning regarding the furniture, lighting, and finishes you choose.
Start by choosing the right floor plan for your space. Try to locate the living room on the highest level of your house, as this will give it greater visual impact when guests enter your home. When selecting the furniture, look for pieces with an elongated shape that will help maximize the feeling of height while also ensuring they don’t overwhelm or overfill the space. Also, consider how natural light can affect the atmosphere of such a large room; make sure to have plenty of windows and/or skylights that will allow the space to be filled with light during the day.
When it comes to lighting, pay special attention to highlighting architectural elements that may otherwise go unnoticed, such as crown molding, high ceilings or exposed beams. You could also add additional lighting fixtures on the ceiling that can be used for reading or task lighting. When picking out finishes, use neutral colors and textures to create a cohesive look while still keeping some contrast between colors so that they don’t blend too much together.
Finally, accessorize your double-height living room with artwork, bookshelves, and other decorative pieces which will give it personality and character. To create a truly impressive double-height living room, always consider the space’s proportions and use furniture, lighting, and finishes that will help showcase its grandeur. With careful planning and design, you can create a double-height living room that will wow your guests.
Ways to decorate a double-height living room
- Hang a dramatic chandelier: Hanging a large, eye-catching chandelier from the double-height ceiling of your living room can make a bold statement and create an impressive focal point to draw attention away from the room’s height.
- Paint high walls in light colors: Light colors make rooms look larger, so painting walls or ceilings in lighter shades will help reduce the overwhelming verticality that comes with a double-height living room.
- Create zones for seating: To break up the space and make better use of the available floor area, it is possible to create separate areas for different purposes such as conversation, dining or entertainment. Using furniture pieces like armchairs, sofas, and coffee tables can help to create an inviting atmosphere while visually dividing the room.
- Utilize natural light: Taking advantage of natural light is essential for double-height living rooms as it helps prevent the space from feeling too dark and oppressive. Installing larger windows or skylights can provide more illumination to brighten up the area, making it feel more spacious.
- Add architectural features: Adding decorative elements such as column capitals, railings, or wall panels can help define different living room areas and add a sense of grandeur to the space. Additionally, these architectural features can draw attention away from the double-height walls and towards interesting details within the room.
- Introduce plants: Adding greenery to the living room can help break up the walls’ monotony while providing a more inviting atmosphere and creating a sense of calm. Tall floor plants or hanging planters are great options for making the most of double-height spaces. Additionally, relying on houseplants rather than cut flowers is often more economical and helps reduce your carbon footprint.
- Consider multiple levels for lighting: To create visual interest in tall rooms, it is possible to install different types of lighting fixtures at various heights throughout the space. For example, table lamps, pendant lights, wall sconces, and even hanging lanterns can spread light over different areas and add some drama to the room. Doing so will also help reduce the overwhelming feeling that comes with high ceilings.
- Make use of wall space: To avoid clutter in a double-height living room, it is important to use all available wall space for storage or decorative purposes. For example, wall shelves can be used for books and other items, while framed artwork and mirrors can add visual interest and break up the blank walls. Also, hanging plants from the ceiling or walls can help bring more life to the room.